As a consequence of the World Health Day, from BIOLAN HEALTH we want to highlight the importance of early diagnosis in many diseases. Therefore, the detection of biomarkers for diagnosis has become a reliable method for early treatment of many diseases.
This early diagnosis is especially important in diseases such as cancer, where time is a crucial factor.
In many cases, it is not necessary to wait for the appearance of symptoms and the subsequent performance of certain tests to prove the presence of a disease, for example a tumor. In this regard, there are several types of cancer that develop associated biomarkers that can be detected in the blood, in a minimally invasive manner. That is to say, the development of certain PoC devices for the diagnosis of this type of biomarkers, which could be included in the health surveillance program, could not only help a large number of patients, but also save a multitude of healthcare costs.
There are a multitude of substances that function as biomarkers and allow early detection of this type of disease. These substances can range from proteins, antibodies, genetic material, lipids or other metabolites to modifications in the genetic material itself such as methylations or acetylations.
Examples of biomarkers and their associated diseases:
- PSA: biomarker for prostate cancer. This marker is already being analyzed. Currently in Spain, an annual analysis is performed on adults over 50 years of age in which this biomarker is analyzed. If the levels of this biomarker are higher than normal, a greater number of other tests are performed.
- BRCA1/2: Genetic biomarker for breast cancer.
- TAU and beta-amyloid protein: biomarkers used for early detection of Alzheimer’s disease.
- CA125: biomarker for the detection of ovarian cancer.
- CA 19-9, CEA, CEMIP protein, M2-PK: biomarkers for the early detection of pancreatic cancer. In this regard, there are numerous reviews in which these types of biomarkers and others associated with pancreatic cancer are studied.
At present, many countries already have integrated this biomarker detection for the early diagnosis of diseases in their health system.
Therefore, it is very important to continue with the research of this type of biomarkers and the development of devices that allow their detection.
At BIOLAN HEALTH we develop PoC devices for biomarker detection according to the client’s needs in a personalized way. Contact us to tell us about your proposal and we will study its viability!
Did you like this post? You can subscribe to our newsletter to receive blog updates and the latest news!